Viennese CBC programmes

Information on all three cross-border-cooperation programmes

Basic requirements for the submission of a project application

Partner structure and number of partners:

At least one project partner has to be from Austria and one from a neighbouring central European country (Czech Republic, Hungary or Slovakia).

One of the partners takes over the role of the Lead Partner.

Thematic concentration of the projects:

The project must be assigned to a thematic and a specific objective.

The project must fulfil at least three out of four cooperation criteria:

  • Joint preparation
  • Joint implementation
  • Joint financing
  • Joint staffing

Project submission:

In all three programmes, projects can be submitted on an ongoing basis. The Programme Management sets deadlines (usually two times a year). All projects that are submitted before a certain date are going to discussed in the following Monitoring Committee Meeting.

Funding ratio from the ERDF (European Regional Development Fund):

The rate of funding is a maximum of 85%. The remaining 15% of project costs must be financed by national co-financing or out of other resources. Refunding of expenses by ERDF is based on real incurred and certified costs,

Thematic objectives and their anchoring in the CBC-programmes

Thematic objectives (TO)

Interreg SK - AT Interreg AT-CZInterreg AT-HU
TO 1

strengthening research, technological development and innovation



TO 3

enhancing the competitiveness of SMEs


TO 6

preserving and protecting the environment and promoting resource efficiency




TO 7

promoting sustainable transport and removing bottlenecks in key network infrastructures



TO 10

investing in education, training and vocational training skills and lifelong learning


TO 11

enhancing institutional capacity of public authorities and stakeholders and efficient public administration




Framework for CBC projects – what’s new?

The European Commission introduced specific rules for the eligibility of costs with fixed cost categories (Delegated Act No. 481/2014):

  1. Staff costs
  2. Office and administrative expenditure
  3. Travel and accommodation costs
  4. External expertise and services costs
  5. Equipment expenditure
  6. Infrastructure

More innovations:

  • Eligibility rules on programme level
  • Flat rates
  • E-Cohesion (the communication to the programme authorities is electronically)
  • Strong focus on results and impact (indicators)
  • Support for large strategic projects
  • Total cost principle

Information on the three cross-border EU-programmes:

Informationen on Interreg AT-CZ 2021-2027 (EN)

Cross-Border-Cooperation Programme Interreg VI-A Austria-Czech Repulic

Here you can find all information about the new Interreg programme period AT-CZ 2021-2027

Informationen on Interreg AT-HU 2021-2027 (EN)

Cross-Border-Cooperation Programme Interreg V-A Austria-Hungary

An overview of all relevant information on the future funding period of Interreg AT-HU 2021-2027 at a glance

Informationen Interreg SK-AT 2021-2027 (EN)

Cross-Border-Cooperation Programme Interreg V-A Slovakia-Austria

How does cross-border cooperation between Austria and Slovakia look like in the years 2021-2027?

Information on Interreg AT-CZ 2014-2020

Cross-Border-Cooperation Programme Interreg V-A Austria-Czech Repulic

Tongue-twisters in Czech such as "STRČ PRST SKRZ KRK" (English Translation: Stick your finger through the throat) and in German “Blaukraut bleibt Blaukraut, Brautkleid bleibt Brautkleid” (English Translation: Red cabbage remains red cabbage, wedding dress remains wedding dress) should also work as icebreakers in the future.

Information on Interreg AT-HU 2014-2020

Cross-Border-Cooperation Programme Interreg V-A Austria-Hungary

Hungary is more than paprika, Imre Kertész and Balaton, and Austria has more to offer than Wiener Schnitzel, Mozart and the Riesenrad.

Here you will get more information on the programme.

Information on Interreg SK-AT

Cross-Border-Cooperation Programme Interreg V-A Slovakia-Austria

The wien-lobAU National Park House, the Twin-City-Liner and the bicycle bridge over the Morava River – all were realised with the help of the EU.

What are the projects of the future look like?